What is SEO? SEO stands for search engine optimization, a technique used to increase your website ranking on search engine result page (SERP). If you just recently built your website and are proactively searching for SEO tips for your strategy, you are might be frustrated by how much information is out there and wondering where to start.
7 SEO Tips for Beginners
- Identify your keywords. Whether you are writing a blog posts or running a business website, you’ll want to identify your primary keywords and then optimize your site based on your content and those keywords. You are encouraged to include your keywords in your content and page title.
- Keep your title tag in 50 – 60 characters. Title tag is the page title that shows up on SERP. Most search engines tend to display the first 50-60 characters of your title on their search result page.
- Add meta description. Meta description is the description shown on SERP under the page title. Usually, searchers look at your meta description to decide if they want to click. So make your meta description concise, compelling, and under 150-160 characters;that’s the optimal number of characters most search engines choose to display.
- Keep your URL relevant to your content. You want to match your URL to your content. URL is one factor that users and search engines rely on to see if your site matches their search keywords. Additionally, Google treats hyphens as a word separator, so you may want to use dashes in your URL to separate words.
- Add alt-text to images. Alt-text are basically keywords for images. When someone looks for images, alt-text is what Google crawls to see if it matches the keywords being searched. Always remember to add your alt attribution for your image SEO!
- Build links in your content. While you are trying to earn more backlinks from sites with high authority, you might want to start building links to other websites or your internal pages first. Search engines values both inbound & outbound, and internal & external links for ranking.
- Last but not least, create great content. Many people are so focused on SEO strategy itself, but easily neglect one of the most important pieces: it’s your content that matters. Without a good content strategy, your site might encounter a high bounce rate – when visitors leave your website immediately after viewing only one page. Search engines consider a site with high bounce rate a bad content provider, which might hurt your ranking on SERP.
Incorporate the SEO tips above, and you’ll be in a good starting place. Still overwhelmed? Many tools, software, and plugins are there to help!If you are using WordPress, both WordPress.com and WordPress.org are search-engine optimized websites. And besides, you may find plugins like Yoast SEO and All in One SEO Pack useful. These tools can assist you in monitoring your site’s SEO step by step.